IV Therapies & Cannulation
Looking to make a commercial booking? Want to speak to one of our clinical training experts?
Call Ashfield Services today – 0800 012 6085
What’s covered on the day?
This session will cover the theoretical and practical aspects of peripheral cannulation and intravenous therapies, including infusions. It will equip the learners with all of the essential knowledge required to care for a patient who requires to have a peripheral cannula inserted and monitored whilst receiving an intravenous infusion and/or intravenous therapies i.e. Antibiotics. The practical session will allow the learners to develop the appropriate skills for inserting and monitoring a peripheral cannula, as well as running an IV infusion as well as mixing IV additives
Learners will complete a knowledge assessment at the end of the theory session, allowing them to evidence their understanding of the required criteria. The practical session will include simulated practice – formal assessment and final competency sign off will take place back in the work environment and is dependent on the organisational policy and procedures.
Number of Delegates: 15
Duration: Full Day
CPD Hours: 7
Participatory Hours: 5
- Review the anatomy and physiology of the venous system and circulation
- Discuss the legal and professional considerations when looking at cannulation and IV therapies
- List the equipment required when performing peripheral cannulation
- Use the VIPS score criteria for assessing the suitability of a peripheral cannula
- Explain the risks to the practitioner associated with healthcare sharps
- Demonstrate the practical skills of cannulating a peripheral vein
- Summarise the key reasons for intravenous infusions
- State the definitions of fluid and electrolyte balance
- Identify the potential hazards of intravenous therapy
- Show the correct practice of running and maintaining a lines patency
- Interpret a prescription for IV fluids and calculate the flow rate or drip rates for running IV infusions
- Apply the principles of medicines management when looking at IV therapies
- Demonstrate correct and safe practices when drawing up IV therapies and administering medications
- Evaluate the legal and professional responsibilities of administering IV infusions and IV therapies to a patient
- Describe the considerations that you would take as a practitioner when applying the Mental Capacity Ac
Looking to book IV Therapies & Cannulation training?
We can deliver this course anywhere in the UK onsite or at a location of your choice.
To help us give you a tailored experience for this course, tell us who you’re making this enquiry for.