Making Decisions: Advance Statements and Supporting Individual Choice
Looking to make a commercial booking? Want to speak to one of our clinical training experts?
Call Ashfield Services today – 0800 012 6085
What’s covered on the day?
This session will cover key aspects of legal and professional considerations when supporting individuals to make choice. It will equip learners with the knowledge of Advance Statements, Advance Statements and Living Wills and how these can be applied into nursing and care practices. Discussions will also be held around advocacy for the individual and the application of the principles of the Mental Capacity Act and how a person’s previous decisions can be upheld or overridden depending on circumstances.
There is no formal assessment during this course, the delegates will be assessed throughout the session and expected to take part in group activities and discussions. A certificate of attendance will be issued.
Number of Delegates: 15
Duration: Half Day
CPD Hours: 3
Participatory Hours: 3
- Recognise what Advance Statements, Advance Decisions and Living Wills & how they apply to care delivery and practice
- List some of the circumstances when individuals may write an advance statement/decision
- Discuss when these decisions are ‘activated’ and would become appropriate within care practices.
- Describe how the Mental Capacity Act is relevant within this subject and if previous decisions would still be honoured
- Explain what Power of Attorney’s are and how they apply to supporting individuals to make decisions
- Relate different practice methods to supporting individual choices on a day-to-day basis
- Recall when Advance Statements, Advance Decisions or Living Wills may not be honoured and nursing or medical decisions override the individual’s choice
- Discuss when Best Interest Decisions may be applicable within this subject matter, and how they can support choice
- Identify where and how nursing and care staff can practice as the individual’s advocate
Looking to book Making Decisions: Advance Statements and Supporting Individual Choice training?
We can deliver this course anywhere in the UK onsite or at a location of your choice.
To help us give you a tailored experience for this course, tell us who you’re making this enquiry for.